As we know dementia includes memory loss, difficulties with thinking, problem-solving or speech and language problems.It might also cause change in moods & behaviors.
Dementia can happen due to Alzheimer’s disease or a series of strokes which lead to brain damage.If diagnosed at an early stage, contacting organizations such as Alzheimer’s Society, Dementia UK, Carers UK will help you understand how to cope with elderly parents.
1. Recent memory loss
2. Forgetting how to do everyday tasks
3. Problems with language
4. Becoming confused in familiar surroundings
5. Difficulty in calculating numbers and handling money or balancing the cheque book
6. Putting things in the wrong place
7. Rapid and unexplained mood swings and/or depression
8. Listlessness and apathy
9. Decreased or poor judgment
10. Visual Difficulties
Taking time out is important. When someone offers help, the answer should always be “YES”. They should be kept busy with family & friends.
Regular connection needed with latest techniques of Dementia carers. Online Dementia Support forums are pretty useful. It is also nice to be able to look after someone who spent years looking after you, and knowing that you did everything you could to care for them when they needed it.
If diagnosed early, there are treatments which can we be helpful to reduce the progress of the disease and ease some of the symptoms.
Visit link to know more: https://www.agespace.org/dementia/treatments-used-dementia
Below can be helpful solutions to improve the patient’s wellbeing :
- If there is a garden, we need to ensure to keep it safe & the paths clear. Its advisable to keep their favorite flowers to keep them happy & engaged.
- If they are getting prepared to go out, help them to get ready, walk with them for a while & distract them to head back.
- If they have a practice to walk alone, keep an ID with them or sew the same a phone number to be contacted if required, might be in the jacket or bag.
- Consider placing coats and keys out of view to stop any impulsive walks.
- A medical alert pendant with AGPS technology works the best to track them with real-time location.
Visit link to know more: https://www.agespace.org/herbert-protocol
Source: Age Space. Click here to download a free guide on elderly care prepared by Age Space team.
There are struggles & lessons but there are hope as well. Through research & practices, everyone is learning more. Through education & awareness, situations can be managed better & release stress not only from the impacted but also their loved ones. No matter how tough the journey might be, there is always a chance, a bright ray of success.